Thursday, 13 November 2014

Health Issues With The SAS Cafeteria Food: News Package


News Package Element/
Time Reference
Script
Introduction
Students from the middle school of Singapore American School came back from summer break with surprising new changes. Walking into the MS and HS cafeterias, they learn the healthier developments with the provided food. While many students are more satisfied than before, not everyone is happy with the new transitions and they still have some thoughts and opinions to say about the recent adjustments.
Soundbite 1-Yubin Ohn (student)
“They’re putting in effort into making it healthier, but I don’t think its making such a big affect on students, because while its healthier, students still don’t choose to buy or eat it.”
Bridge
states Yubin Ohn, an eighth grade student. Although the school has been putting in a lot of effort into the meals they provide, students are the main struggle in this situation. Like most of us, they are provided with different varieties, but only choosing the unhealthy.
Soundbite 2-April Yoon (student)
(1:14)
“Sure, some food are healthy, but the really tasty ones are really greasy, like the donuts or the fish and chips.”
Bridge
Again, from the perspective of an eighth grade student, April Yoon, she claims that yes, the school might offer a mixture in the menu, but the tasty ones are the unhealthiest.
Soundbite 3-Elena Cheung (student)
(did not record)
“After the few years I’ve been here, there has been a lot of changes and the food got healthier, but by taking the unhealthy food away, they’re also taking away the range and the freedom. For example, they took away the vending machines and the soft drinks in the HS is now replaced by juice boxes. I understand that they’re trying to improve our diet, but they should still give us a choice.”
Bridge
Another MS student, Elena Cheung, mentions. Despite the fact that the students understand and accepts what the school is trying to do with the food, they have to admit the unsettling feeling of some of their favourite products being taken away.
Soundbite 4-Yenny Kurniawan
(parent)
(did not record)
“From what I have been hearing about what my daughter eats at school, I am fine with what they have, and I think that they are trying hard to improve it. I believe that SAS is on the right track and should keep going on this situation. It’s a great school where I am sure that they will think of all the problems they have with much depth.”
Stand-Up
The parents of SAS, such as Yenny Kurniawan, an eighth grade parent, recognizes and trusts the school’s decisions to make good decisions for both the campus and the school. There are still more improvements that’ll develop, and we’ll see how that will transform the school in years to come.
Sign Off
I’m Valerie Darmawan, reporting from SAS for the GR8 News Network (GNN).

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with Yubin. Her comment “They’re putting in effort into making it healthier, but I don’t think its making such a big affect on students, because while its healthier, students still don’t choose to buy or eat it.” summarises how students see the changes. I also believe that more people are eating home lunch instead of school lunch since the changes.

    ReplyDelete