Tuesday, 8 November 2016

3 Timed Drawings


Manipulation of Materials:
For this assignment, I chose to use rapidograph on created surface for all three pieces. I wanted to practice and get used to using a very controlled medium so that I can focus on the smallest details of a single object, while the created surface adds more depth to the piece as a whole. This was my second timed drawing piece, and in my opinion, the best one out of the three. The picture of the building that I drew was very detailed and tinted with light and dark at every tiny corner or edge. I really liked how with rapido, layering more cross-hatches adds more darkness and depth to the piece. I tried focusing on the shadows on this one, with the sun hitting the right side of the building and the left side mostly being dark. I wasn't as satisfied when I finished because I didn't get to finish, but I'm glad that I took my time to add on more layers to make it detailed. 


This was the first piece that I drew, and I really focused on line and shape for this one by thinking about how thick or thin the rapido should be, or how much I should layer by cross hatching to show the deep and dark parts of the skeleton. With this piece, I focused on using only one rapido pen and learning how to make the lines thicker or darker without having to use different rapido sizes. It did take a longer time, especially with the darker areas since I had to take my time to cross-hatch thin lines over and over again, but in the end, I liked the result better than other pieces when I used the thicker rapidos. If I could do this again, I would make sure to emphasize the dark side of the objects even more so that it would stand out further, especially since I used black ink for the background of my created surface.


For my third and final piece, I decided to choose a smaller object to draw and focus on the lines, especially since the wooden stick figure doesn't have much detail as my other two pieces. I took a longer time on contour line drawing than usual to get every line that has a different shade based on where the light hits it. Because there were so many lines, time became more of problem than usual, especially since I had to make sure that the layering of the rapido doesn't overlap with other lines. If I were to do again, I think that I would work faster now that I know that it takes longer than I thought it would to cross-hatch all the different areas. I would also try to define the dark areas more or the edges to add more depth and contrast to the entire piece. I drew this picture smaller than my other two, which is also why I think it looks more bland and plain.

No comments:

Post a Comment