Wednesday, 18 January 2017

Exaggerated Perspective



 Cultural Competence and Connections:
For this assignment, I incorporated my concentration theme in it because I had a really good picture for it. My concentration is infrastructure and buildings, but not necessarily the typical day to day modern ones you see wherever you go. I choose to draw buildings or structures that are unique to the different cultures that they came from. For example, for this assignment, I chose to paint the temple called Borobudur in Indonesia. Although it seemed really detailed and too complicated at first, it took me to a different turn because I've never drawn this type of structure before. So far, I've drawn European style buildings, temples, and mosques, but this temple was very different in the way it was created. I'm glad I chose to do this for my concentration because it got me to understand a variety of different cultures through their architecture. By painting the distinctive structures for my portfolio, I actually got to learn more about the cultural background it came from based on how they formatted and designed their monuments.

Problem Solving:
The first problem came up before I even started painting, and that was deciding on whether I wanted to use this specific reference picture. The amount of detail in this picture is insane, and I didn't know whether I would have enough time to finish it all. In the end, it didn't take me as much time as I thought it would, because although from afar this temple seemed like it had a lot going on, it was actually simple and very repetitive if you looked closely and broke down the picture into smaller pieces. The next problem I had was with the background and how I was worried that the sky would be too bland for the piece as a whole. I've had this problem with my final pieces last semester too, because the buildings in all my references stood on its own without any composition for its background. However, I ended up liking the grayish sky tones for the background in the end because it didn't make my piece too crowded or took attention away from the actual temple.

No comments:

Post a Comment