Thursday, 23 February 2017

Timed Drawings 2017








Manipulation of Materials:
For the three timed drawings, I had already planned to do rapidograph on created surfaces. Personally, I get the best rapido on created surface work when I'm under pressure because I don't have to worry about the background or composition and I can focus on a certain object/subject. Compared to my other rapido pieces that I did for assignments that weren't timed drawings, these three pieces are definitely a lot messier, but in a way, has more substance. Most of the time, I don't lift the pen off the paper because my hands are working faster than usual to be able to finish the pieces on time. Using rapido during timed drawings are like continuous scribblings that are sometimes thicker or thinner on different areas to define the shapes or darkness. Out of all the materials in the art room, the rapidograph and created surface combo will always be my favorite because of how the simple and black drawings stand out from a background that is effortless but also beautiful and complex.

Problem Solving:
Surprisingly, these timed drawing assignments were the first ones that I didn't struggle with timing. However, a problem that I faced was trying to make a composition less boring or plain. With the two building structures that I drew, I had a hard time trying to figure out where to place it on the page or how big I want it to be. The size especially became a huge problem for me when I did the piece with the two bicycles. I wasn't sure how large the drawings would end up to be so I didn't plan the sizing as well as I should have beforehand. In the end, I made the composition less empty by adding bricks on the ground to add more to the whole piece. 



No comments:

Post a Comment