Wednesday, 13 March 2019

Concentration 6

Timed-Drawing Diptych (Piece 1)


(180 minutes ~ roughly two classes)



Problem Solving:
After having a week of timed-drawings, I wanted to continue experimenting with making art under pressure. I realized that with timed-drawings, I really had to focus on the big picture rather than the minute details and making everything clean-cut. Because all of the timed-drawings I've done in the past were with rapidograph, I wanted to try something new, which is why I chose to do acrylic. It felt a little bland composition wise, which is why I've decided to make it the first part of a diptych piece.

Manipulation of Materials:
Although it is hard for me to paint in a fast pace, acrylic as a medium is quite fitting for timed-drawings because it dries super quick, letting me layer and add on more shape without having to wait. This piece was quite challenging, however, because I painted it on regular paper, making it harder to spread the paint and it drying a lot faster than usual when I would do it on wood or matteboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment