Wednesday, 23 October 2013

The Outsiders-Movie vs. Book

The Rumble Scene


I think that the rumble scene was much better portrayed in the movie than the book. The director showed a clearer scene of how the rumble went than the author. In the movie, the scene showed a better understanding of what was happening during the rumble, but the author wrote it focusing only on what Ponyboy was doing, and so that made the scene harder for me to visualize when I was reading that chapter. In the book, the author only wrote about two paragraphs about the rumble, and it happened too fast. While in the movie, it was longer, and much clearer than how the author wrote it.





Darry and Pony's Hospital Scene

I think that Darry and Pony's hospital scene was much better portrayed in the book than the movie. Darry and Pony's scene at the hospital was supposed to be a long and emotional scene of both of them finally bonding. But in the movie, the director made it too simple, and it was like nothing changed between them that moment. In the book, it said, "Darry had only stood there, his fists in his pockets and that look on his face, the same helpless, pleading look that he was wearing now.)Darry looked down and turned away silently. Suddenly I broke out of my daze."Darry!" I screamed, and the next thing I knew I had him around the waist and was squeezing the daylights out of him."Darry," I said, "I'm sorry..."" The book took it much slower, and it showed more emotion and meaning to that scene. I thought that the director made that scene go too fast, and it was a great disappointment to see that one of the main relationship changes happen too quickly without barely any emotion, when it was supposed to be one of the main turning points in the book.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with you. The rumble scene was a lot better in the movie, it showed everyone's point of view rather than just pony and how he saw everything. I really liked how you added quotes or lines from the book to help support why you thought the book was better than the movie in the hospital scene. I was just wondering what your opinion was, did you like the book or the movie better?

    ReplyDelete