Wednesday, 9 May 2018

Illuminated Letter


ILLUMINATED LETTER
Reference Photo:
Pre Construction Fired Photo:
Describe what you liked about the unit:
My favorite part about this unit was how it was very focused on the
decorating aspect of the class. While the quality and effort put into the
construction was also just as important, I felt like I was able to really put in
more time into the decoration and details of my letter. Not only did I have a
wide range of different decorative techniques that I could have chosen from,
but I also had a lot of freedom in terms of the creativity and how most of the
design was entirely up to me. The fact that I was also able to choose my own
letter made the project a lot more personal than the other ones I’ve done.  
Describe what you disliked about the unit:
At first, I didn’t particularly like how the project was mostly self-taught with
less demos. However, it made me realize that on other projects, I had relied
too much on the teacher’s instructions and help rather than trying to solve
my own problems. It made me feel uneasy at certain times because I wasn’t
sure if I was doing something wrong or not, but it made me a lot more
independent in trying to figure out what I have to do when things go
unplanned.
Post Glaze Fire Photo:
Glaze Record:
Celadon Jade (3 coats) for the letter
Celadon Cherry Blossom (3 coats) for the braid on the border and the center
of the flower additives
Celadon Weeping Plum (3 coats) for the main border and the petals of the
flower additives
Potter’s Choice Frosted Melon (3 coats) for the background
Is this a project that you think I should keep or disregard? Why?
I personally think that this project should be kept because most of our
projects in this class are more focused on the construction part of ceramics,
while this one made me focus more on creativity and originality. Although
constructing something more functional and three-dimensional is very
important in this class, this project serves as a small break to make
something that is purely for decorative purposes only.
I sincerely apologize if your piece broke during firing process.  You will not be
assessed for the glazing portion.

No comments:

Post a Comment