Monday, 28 May 2018

Slab Teapot



TEA POT
Slab Construction
Ceramics 2 Final
Insert pre fire photo:
Describe what your design is based on and construction process:
My design is completely based off of one of Mr. P’s teapots. I chose that specific template
because I like smaller teapots with a simple and cute design rather than a bulky one. I also
wanted my teapot to look a lot softer in terms of its edges, which is why I ended up going with
a cylinder shape. Because creating the shapes to create the pot was actually quite simple, I
didn’t really run into any obstacles until I had to make the spout. Other than that, the rest of the
learning aspect of the construction process can be traced back to the slab construction project
from Ceramics I.
Pre Glaze Fire Photo:
Glaze Record:
3 coats of Celadon Jade as the base coat
3 coats of Potter’s Choice Oatmeal over the top half of Jade
4 coats of Western Gold on the lid and the handles
Post Fire Glaze Photo:

Final Reflection
How did you feel about designing and creating your own work with very
little teacher help?
I felt a little uneasy at first, especially because we were open to creating whatever type of
teapot we wanted, but once I knew what I wanted my design to look like, it definitely got
easier. Even though majority of the construction process I did myself, I still had to ask for help
at some points, either from other students or Mr. P, especially with the spout. Looking back,
the project seemed like it should have been a lot simpler than I had perceived it to be at first,
but I think that knowing there would be less guidance made it a lot more intimidating than it
actually was.


Did you feel abandoned or empowered that you had total control?
I think that there were moments where I felt both because I wasn’t always sure if I was doing
the right thing or not, but looking at the assignment as a whole, I realized that every aspect of it
had already been previously taught before. The slab construction process and the glazing are
two areas that we have repeatedly been practicing with, which makes sense as to why we should
be able to create a teapot on our own.

No comments:

Post a Comment