Wednesday, 2 October 2013

Learning Log: Continental Drift and Convection

What is the connection between continental drift and convection?

-What did we do?
-What did you observe?
-What did you learn?

The connection between continental drift and convection is when the mantle is heated by the outer core of the earth which causes the mantle to move because of convection. The lava then moves around which then causes the plate tectonics floating above the mantle to move.

In class, our teacher demonstrated how convection works by demonstrating to us with a model of a tank heated with a candle at the bottom and she placed a red dye inside the tank above the candle.

I observed in the demonstration that when one side of the tank is heated by a heat source, the red dye moves upwards and then goes in circles, but it doesn't keep on moving towards the top of the tank because the temperature drops and it gets more dense after a while since the heat source is at the bottom, and so it moves in a cycle.

I learned that when a fluid is heated from a heat source, it tends to move around the area, and it can also move an object floating above it. The outer core is the heat source heating the mantle which causes the plate tectonics floating on it to move.

Diagram:
EARTH



1 comment:

  1. I think that in some places you maybe could have described some of the things you were talking about because if this was the first time I had ever heard of these things I would be really confused. I really liked your drawing, it is simple but gets the message across and it is very detailed and helped me to understand everything even better.

    ReplyDelete