Tuesday, 8 April 2014

UN Day Reflection


During RLA, we had a poetry club where some of us are anonymously chosen to read our poems out loud to the whole audience. This really boosted some people’s confidence in order to speak loud and clear.

During Math, our main target learning was to understand how to make the right decisions around the world. We really connected with it and it gave us a chance to understand how difficult it is to make real decisions for real world problems.
During the food festival, we really got a chance to taste all kinds of food around the world. It was a great experience, and it was really fun for all of us.

During science, as we played the game that was described above, some teams started to realize that other teams had better resources and help to get them to win faster. Once we were finished with the game, our teachers then told us why they made the game unfair. This led us to realize that throughout the world, there are countries that are feeling the same as we did when playing the game. Some countries have better access to other resources, and they might be allies with other countries, and so that gives them an advantage. While other countries might not be lucky. Countries that are developing might not have the money or resources to get food, water, goods and to build new shelter.

During PE, we got to experience what it’s like for the women in Africa. It wasn’t fun or a very great experience, but it was a good one for learning something new. We got a chance to know what they feel everyday, and if we can imagine that they have to carry two gallons of water to their villages back every single day. When I was finished with the two laps around the field, my hands started to hurt and my shoulder was hurting. And then I realized that this was the whole point of why we did it. To know that the girls there have to walk 6km everyday carrying a big bucket of water made me understand their situation much more.
I would like to learn more about the real world problem countries and how people make those hard decisions. It really makes me wonder because even during the decision game we had to do during Math, the groups had some trouble deciding what their decision would be and we couldn’t stop arguing. If we found that hard, I really want to know how the people out there make decisions.
If I could do UN Day again, I would really like to keep the food festival. It was the best experience out of all for me, and I think it would be great for others too. I wouldn’t change anything because I think that UN Day was really fun and I really enjoyed it.

1 comment:

  1. I thought that you used a lot of detail and good spelling. But I thought your paragraph structures were a little off. Still a really good job!

    ReplyDelete