My topic is on the artist and author Dr. Seuss. Dr. Seuss was beneficial not only to the modern world, but also to the Civil Rights movement because some of his work from 1941 to 1943 went against the African-Americans racial identity through art. Although Dr. Seuss is mostly known for his childrens’ books, he also illustrated other cartoons that affects politics and racism.
Originally, my first topic was on the activist Malala Yousafzai, but it quickly changed after I realized that I wasn’t that interested in her. I then decided to research on the artist and illustrator Norman Rockwell since I was interested in art and he had a huge connection to Civil Rights. But this quickly changed when Mr. Elms gave me the topic of Dr. Seuss. Dr. Seuss is one of the most famous authors for kids worldwide, and it’s very intriguing when I found out there was a different side to him during the time when he drew racist cartoons in World War II. Also, I became even more interested when I learned that the children’s books he wrote had connections to the past such as Adolf Hitler, the Japanese Americans during the American Post-War, and the Cold War.
In order to research, I had to look through the comics that Seuss drew during that time period. I went to a secondary source website (Library of the University of California of San Diego) and found copies of his comic collections. Most of the time, I went on online websites of colleges or museums that have copies of his cartoons such as Dartmouth College and the National World War II museum in New Orleans. There I found primary sources of the drawings he drew himself. Because I thought I needed a variety of different types of sources, I borrowed a book about Dr. Seuss and his work. This book really helped me understand more about his life and what he did as a living before starting to write children’s books.
Because Dr. Seuss was an artist himself, I thought that the best way to convey this project was to do an exhibit. With the cartoons and the drawings he did as a primary source, it made sense to have them on an exhibit. I also decided to select this category because since there were so many images of his cartoons to display, it would be easier to present them through an exhibit presentation.
Although Seuss was mostly famous for the children comics he drew, the ones he drew in the 1940’s goes against races that weren’t White. One of those races was African, and he drew cartoons that was anti-African Americans. He wasn’t exactly a racist, and he was leaning towards being inclusive. He wanted to reduce racial conflicts rather than just responding to the situation.
I had no idea that Dr. Seuss was a racist. before this. Your topic really gives a different impression on the childhood hero of Dr. Seuss, and although I knew you were doing Dr. Seuss I had no idea this was what you were presenting, and how surprising it would be. I guess I could say you ruined my childhood, but I also loved how you used so many images and comics, but they were also organized. I really got a sense that Dr. Seuss made a variety of racist comics, and it wasn't just a one time thing.
ReplyDeleteOne thing that intrigued me was how you found your topic. It's interesting that you jumped between different topics only to find your favourite: Dr. Seuss. It's also interesting that you found and learnt a lot during the project; most people don't know that Dr. Seuss was racist! I guess he covered his name with his cartoons for kids. Another thing you did really well was give examples of the cartoons, annotating them with great detail, so the reader gets it. One thing you could've explained was how he was compared to the rest of 'em. Was he blending in, or was he a huge advocate for racism? How was he different or similar than the rest? But I still really like your project. As a kid I used to read a lot of Dr. Seuss books and now you see it and you say "Oh my God. That author, who I love so much, was for racism all the way." This is what I love about your project.
ReplyDeleteYour pictures and words were very organise, and I could tell you put a lot of effort and time into making your exhibit. Your topic was important because it really made me think about who Dr.Seuss was. I just thought he made cartoons for kids, but I had no idea that he was a racist.
ReplyDeleteThis topic is so interesting, I always only knew Dr. Seuss as a childrens book artist. On your poster I can see a lot of his drawings and I love how the set up is background knowledge, in the middle are the civil rights drawings and on the right is his childrens books. You have clearly selected images and stories you wanted to portray and use as a part of your project. You did a very good job connecting your topic to the civil rights movement.
ReplyDelete