Creativity:
As a second self-portrait assignment, I wanted this one to be a lot more different than my first one to show that I'm a different person than who I was two years ago and I also just wanted to try something new. Last time, my piece was completely in black and white tones so I decided that I would make the collage with very bright colors, which was perfect to create with National Geographic magazine photographs.
Manipulation of Materials:
I decided to use Nat Geo magazines because they're well known for the bright and deep colors of their photographs. At first, I wanted the collage to be as similar to the reference photo as possible, so, for example, if a specific area is plain blue in the photo, I would collect blues from a magazine that are almost exactly the same hue and tone. However, after pasting the magazine cutouts down on the matteboard, I realized that using similar but different tones of the same color type gave my overall piece a lot more texture and emphasis.
Problem Solving:
A problem that I encountered during the making process was that if, for example, I looked through a magazine and found the color green in a photo of a forest, it may not actually look as green and bright once I cut it out and paste it down on the matteboard. I realized that I only thought the photo was bright green simply because it was a forest, not because it was actually of the bright green color that matched my reference photo. As I looked through multiple magazines, I had to really focus on the color itself and if it truly matches the color on my reference photo rather than the whole picture I was looking at.


No comments:
Post a Comment